Saturday 12 July 2014

Sugar Bun in Melbourne

SugarBun on Urbanspoon
For those people whom have travelled to Sarawak, a state of Malaysia on the Borneo island may have seen Sugar Bun stores in most cities there. Sugar Bun is a restaurant that serves a mixed of western and local cuisines in Sarawak. It now has a store in Melbourne!

I took my wife there to try the Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶) as she hasn't had it before. This is a Malaysian/Singapore chinese dish which is in Hokkien (a chinese dialect) that means pork ribs in chinese tea. The Sugar Bun version is served with what looks like wild rice and chinese donut. There are many variation of this dish in different parts of Malaysia and Singapore. The Sugar Bun version is one of the best I've tasted! My wife really enjoyed it too. I was pleasantly surprised that we could find such an authentic dish here in Melbourne.

For myself, I ordered one of the old favourite menu of Sugar Bun, the Fish burger with fries. YUM! This tasted exactly the same as the one I had in Sarawak. What makes it so good is the sauce. If one likes the McDonald's fish-o-fillet, this is a must try as I think it is way better!

In addition, the staff are friendly overall and the ambient is good. We'll visit again.

Sugar Bun's Bak Kut Teh
The interior - ground floor

Sugar Bun's Fish Burger with fries

No comments:

Post a Comment